Building Logs

Pureseal test.

Posted by Paul

Another season came and went. Summer is officially over although I suspect we still have a few weeks of hot weather yet. As I usually do, I checked on the Pureseal plate to see how it was fairing after another 3 months, the hot water months when growth is usually at its highest and now 27 months in the water.

The verdict is they are still working as I would hope. Last month they came out of the water already fairly clean, which was unusual, but there had just been a big storm so I guessed that the strong water movement had cleaned them of any growth. There has not been a storm for a while this time and they came out covered in green slimy growth, which is fairly normal, other than last time they always do. And as usual a rub with the pad of my finger was enough effort to remove most of the growth. One side had some darker spots under the green slime which I had to scratch off using my fingernail but again, it was really easy to remove.

pureseal 1 Feb 09 1pureseal 1 Feb 09 2pureseal 1 Feb 09 3pureseal 1 Feb 09 4

Today I did a little more work on the davits, clamping all of the sides together and sanding out the jigsaw cutting irregularities (each one was a little bit different shape). As they are the side profile of the davits they all need to be the same shape. I also cut more of the raised duckboard internal walls that will form not only the shape of the duckboard, that is the height (500mm off the deck) and the depth according to the curve of the original duckboard and the consistent angle that I have set the duckboard back panel to.

The cabin side extensions are also set. I cut them into a similar elliptical curve to the davits. I created the curve using a batten (a duflex offcut about 10mm square by about 2 meters) and I bent it by hand around the panel I wanted to shape, I already knew the size it needed to be at the top and decided on a size at the bottom that suited me in terms of the size the panel would end up, I did not want it too big as it meant getting onto the side deck would mean having to climb over it. With a mark at each end I clamped it at one end (the top) and just bent the batten and put different pressures in different places until I had the shape I liked and marked it with a marker. I then cut it and checked to see if it worked on the boat. It did so I used it to mark the other and cut that. Easy.

I also started to mark out the rear step risers. I will have an outboard under each sides steps. I need about 800mm back from the rear bulkhead and about 1400mm from the keel at about the point where the outboard skeg would be. So knowing what I needed to have, I marked that out and worked back from there. I want to try to keep the risers to 250mm to 300mm and to at least get the same depth or more per step. If you don’t get 300mm minimum per step you tend to walk up them on your toes rather than plant your whole foot, or you crab up them sideways. So with all that in mind I started to mark out the risers. I think I can get the height and depth I need so from here it is a matter of working out the shape of the steps that works.

setting step risers

During the week I will start to glue the davits together. They will be formed off the boat with the uni layup and blocks put in and the entire thing glassed and faired before it goes onto the boat.

You May Also Like