Dagger cases, Daggerboards, Decks, Glassing

A Lot of Glassing

Posted by Paul

The benefit of being organised is one job after another can be lined up ready to go. I got 4 different pieces of glass on today, the inside of the second dagger case half, the second daggerboard, and both of the inside bow panels. I also bogged the dagger and I had to cove the case and fill the inside of the bow panels so a busy day but I got lots done.

I started with the dagger case, coved the slot and wet the glass pieces (3 strips). Then I started on the dagger. I overlapped the double bias over all of the edges except the trailing edge and have sealed the dagger with it, but I still have to run a little patch where the screws are on the ends just to finish.

I had lunch, then got started on the inside of the bow turn panels. I started by scraping thick glue into all of the gaps. Just as I started on these, Sam turned up, so he scraped whilst I mixed. Then once the gaps were all filled and the sharp edges smoothed by glue acting like bog (you still have to use glue as a filler rather than bog because bog is not strong enough for under glass) I laid the glass over the wet glue and started wetting the glass out.

Once I had one glassed we put it aside and started on the second, just the movement down to the ground was enough movement (remember until the second glass is set the panel is still flexible) to create a few bubbles so I pressed them back down with the detail roller and got back onto the other panel. We decided not to put the wet glassed panels straight back onto the boat (which is why we lifted the first one down to the floor) but to let them set a while first, so once the second panel was glue filled and glass wetted out, we left them to set and went back to the dagger to bog it.

The glass was wet on the dagger just before lunch about 3 hours ago and I left it to set so that when I bogged it I didn’t pull (or push) the glass out of place or create bubbles. With the glass pretty set but the resin still tacky I was able to slap the bog on fairly fast. I ran some bog around all of the edges (except the trailing edge) and left it upright on the axles to dry.

Once we had finished bogging the dagger (Sam mixed I scraped it on) we went back to the bow panels and lifted them onto the boat to set on the bulkheads. After being off the boat the panels had pulled out of shape a little and needed to be screwed down to the bulkheads to resume the correct shape, once the inside glass sets it will then hold this shape permanently.

All in all a good days work, 10 hours (me 7, Sam 3) with a number of tasks completed and some of the tasks much more difficult without help, such as lifting those panels onto the boat on your own, whilst it can be done it is not easy and you really don’t want the wet glass scraped as you lift it into position which is near impossible on your own. So again whilst I enjoy working on the boat alone, sometimes help is priceless, Thanks again Sam.

You May Also Like