Roof

Tried To Turn The Roof Over

The second white epoxy coat set beautifully except for one small area about 200mm x 400mm where rain had dripped through the roof (it was raining quite heavily as I was applying the epoxy) onto the wet epoxy. The effect of this was to create some craters where the rain hit the roof, about 20 droplets. I have given the area a sand and will give this area one more coat but it really does not need it, I am just being a bit too pedantic about it.

I also sanded the cockpit roof. Next step with this will be highbuild.

Then I pottered around a while on other jobs waiting for some visitors to arrive. I measured the new door positions for the ensuite and walk in wardrobe on bulkhead 4. They are moved out toward the outside of the hulls because the mast posts will be on the chamfer panel and protrudes into the inboard side of the doors. The engineering is being done on the bi rig now, part of the new plans have arrived. The masts wont sit in sockets anymore, the new plan is to build posts that are glassed into the boat through the deck and then the masts fit on these posts as a male and the mast female, instead of the original idea of building tubes into the hull and the mast is the male and the tube the female. This old idea had drainage problems as well as the mast being buried into the boat meaning a longer mast. This new idea has it mounted outside of the boat with the deck sealed to the post and the mast sitting on the post to deck level and the bearings outside of the boat on the posts.

Jo came and bought me lunch as she usually does on Saturday and informed the the visitors I thought would be coming wouldn’t be so no help to turn the roof over. I thought an early day was in order. Warren was at the shed repairing a daggerboard and we tried to move the roof just the 2 of us. No good, too heavy. Then Warren had the idea of winching the roof over by running a rope and pulleys to pull the roof over on one end and stand it up before lowering it down again over the other way. We lifted the roof up onto some drums to get it started when I realised that was as much as I needed to work on the top of the roof. We continued on with the turning idea. It didn’t work. It was my job to hold the front of the roof in place so that it would not just slide along the floor toward the wall with the pulley. I was not paying attention and also not holding the roof well enough and when the winch cranked the roof up off the drums it just pushed me out of the way and slid along the floor. We could have tried it again but I decided we didn’t need to bother, I could get under the roof to do what I needed (finish the edge) before getting a bunch of guys to help me lift it onto the boat.

I got under the roof and ground the glue that had squeezed out from the edge off so that I can glue the rest of the roof lip on and glass it.

I also have a small dip in the roof in the middle and I have followed the dip with the edge. I will remove the dip in the edge and bog the dip in the top to flatten it out. I don’t see or feel the dip in the underside of the roof so it has been taken out by the extra core layer. The dip is exactly in the middle and I had considered leaving it in. I may still do so once it is on the boat but I don’t think so.

Tomorrow I will glue the rest of the foam to the top of the roof ready for the uni and glass and maybe take the dip out of the edge top and bottom.

You May Also Like

Paul