The last hull panels to tape were between bulkheads 1 and 2 (there is still one panel to to between 0 and 1 that I did as I attached the panels). I managed to tape this last panel today. I could have started on the bulkhead tapes today also but I am feeling a little lazy at the moment due mostly to the Test cricket on tv. It has been cooler today and I should be taking advantage of the cooler temperatures as this work is so much harder in the heat.

tapes between 1 and 2

Today is also the day I checked the PureSeal sample being tested on the end of our pier. For those that don’t recall, I am testing a new form of anti foul that apparently is a formula that is so slippery that nothing can grow on it or get a good enough grip that it cant easily come off again, and for the first test after 3 winter months the results looked good. However, the news is not quite so good after 3 spring months. The results last time were that the only growth would very easily wipe away with just one finger. This cannot happen this time. The growth is thick, hard, sharp and well adhered. You can see from the 3 pictures that there are still some areas that the growth is not as strong but I still rate this as a fail. And the summer months are only just starting and the water temperature still has a long way to increase.

Sam at Schionning and also a salesman at McIntyre marine both independently claimed that a new improved formula was available and they sent me a new sample plate before I knew these latest results (not as a consequence of them) so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and test the replacement panel they have sent me, especially as it takes no great effort and I have nothing to lose and there is still 3 to 4 years before I launch, but I now don’t hold much confidence that it will be able to do what the makers claim and what I would need it to do to consider it a real 5 to 10 year, minimal maintenance option. I hope I am wrong but sometimes if something seems to good to be true….

You May Also Like

Paul