I got an early start today with the intention of knocking off early. Also the shed is cooler in the mornings as the sun has not had a chance yet to cook the air inside, and it felt cool until I started sanding the panel and I soon felt hot, then later as I glassed the sweat was dripping off me. Even though the temperature is still at overnight levels the humidity is high 90’s and that is what makes you sweat the most. And I think I have burnt out my sander polisher. It was still working when I stopped using it but it had smoke coming out of it so I think it is cooked! I couldn’t smell the smoke as I had a face mask on for dust protection so I didn’t notice the damage for a while, it just kept cutting out and I thought it was an overheat trip switch kicking in but then I noticed the smoke and switched to another sander to finish the last bit of the panel. I will check it out tomorrow to see if it is still working. I doubt it. This was the Ryobi I got for Christmas 2 years ago, so I guess I got a good run out of it. Ryobi is an OK brand, not industrial like DeWalt or Makita but better than the really cheap Chinese stuff. It is an interesting debate whether it is cheaper to buy a decent brand at the start, or continue to replace cheaper stuff. For example, I now have a dewalt cordless impact driver drill, about $400, and I will probably have it forever. I have also burnt out 2 really cheap $20 cordless drills and am on my third. I recommend both, because you need a cheapy that you wont care if you cover in resin by using it with gloves on (taking gloves on and off is a pain) and the good drill for jobs like strip planking or seriously long screws into really hard wood etc. As I don’t intend taking many tools with me, only the ones I will need after launch such as a good driver drill, I am not fussed about buying tools that wont last out the build and any I have left (in other words I haven’t killed yet) will be given away.

Anyway, I got the sanding done and I then cleaned the dust off and cut some glass. I used the offcuts from the side planking, in 2 pieces overlapping in the middle. I filled the gaps in the planking glue as I wet out (by rolling the glass out as I wet it out) and glassed straight over the wet glue. This process worked well and saved me having to fill, wait and sand again. I had to work fast though to keep the glue and resin from setting in pots. I used the scraper to apply the glue and a brush to apply the resin to the glass, pouring resin on in small pools then spreading it out over the glass, except near the bottom edge where I painted it on to prevent dripping onto the floor.

While the glass resin was tacking off a bit I did some work on the dingy, I glassed in the mast tube against the forward bulkhead, using uni across the tube then covering it with double bias, after having glued and coved the pipe in. I also drilled oversize drain holes into each hatch then back filled it with glue and tomorrow I can re drill smaller holes in the glue. I also gave the airbrushing a coat of clear enamel to protect it. I really only have to hinge the hatch lids and put the fittings in (bow anchor/towing eye, stern eyes, sheet eye and cleats and hatch lid lock downs) to finish. I am still in 2 minds about gluing side bumpers onto the hull sides as I like the paint job and don’t want to detract from it, but they are really a necessity once the dingy becomes the tender. I may wait until MM is launched.

I then went back and bogged the panel and checked the time. It was already 2.30 pm. I had been working for 7 hours! So whilst I could start on smaller jobs such as making the keelson, I decided to head home. I was on the scooter and it was threatening to rain (it was already raining lightly) and I thought I would get home before it set in, which it did so I spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch!

You May Also Like

Paul