Attaching hull panels

Hull Ready for Final Glue and Fill

Another easy day. I managed to get all of the trimming tabs onto the inboard side of the hull and started to mask some of the bigger gaps. I have just taped the inside of some of the joins with packing tape to stop the glue from oozing out the other side when I trowel it into the gaps. I could put the tape on either side of the hull but I figure it will be easier to sand the outside of the hull rather than the inside.

I found I needed a few more tabs on the bow of the inboard side than I did on the outboard side but then the curves are a little more complex so that probably stands to reason. I also had found it was a little naturally fairer in parts so it evened out in the end. I am pretty happy with the hull and it feels like the actual fairing may not be as bad as I have built it up in my mind to be. We will see. I hope I am not disappointed.

I wont be able to work on the boat until the weekend now. Next task is the actual gluing and filling. The method will be to have 2 pots, one with resin and hardener mix in it with which I will coat the joins and then the other pot will have filler, which is resin, hardener and the microsperes (411) powder added. The filler will be made thickish so it doesn’t run too much and will be packed into the joins to the tape at the back and smoothed over at the front of each join. The microsphere mix has about the same consistency as the balsa when set so will mean that when it is glassed there will be no difference in the density of the core.

hull-leveled-inboard-at-bowhull-leveled-inboard-looking-forwardhull-leveled-inboard-at-stern

You May Also Like

Paul