I needed to fill some gaps in the sides of the foam joins as I underestimated the shape and size again (I also did that with the daggers due to a kink in them) but as with the daggers, backfilling the gaps was a simple matter if not a little time consuming. I cut the foam really tight because I had an offcut I could get the strips I needed out of if I kept them to the size I did and I still have to make the rudders and the bows out of the foam so it is a precious resource.

It was easier to fill and then glass wet on wet so I did that. I rounded the duflex edges with a router then I started filling the foam gaps and finally I made the cove on the underside of the catwalk to side joins.

catwalk glassed

Then I wet out 4 lengths of tape all 300mm that will overlap around the middle leaving 2 layers over the conduit. I also overlapped the top and bottom edges and on the underside I made sure the overlap continued past the side onto the base via a coved join. This ensures that the glass completely encases the sides and as it also attaches to the base the conduit is well and truly attached. I attached peel ply to save on sanding as I will have to apply a thin layer of bog in order to fair the sides, however the cold at the moment will probably mean that the glass will still be green enough to get a chemical bond anyway.

I also still have to glue the stiffening frame in. I have all of the pieces cut (foam) ready to glue and will do that tomorrow. Once glued on I will round the edges and cove the joins then I will glass a layer of uni onto the tops of the frame then a layer of tape to hold it all down. Once the frame is in and the sides are faired I can trim it to the template and glue it (and glass it) into the boat. Hopefully it will be on the boat by the end of the weekend.

You May Also Like

Paul