I managed to get the rest of the hull sanded and a second coat of highbuild on today. The underwing side of the hull sanded really easily (as easy as sanding can be, which is still hard work) and was a little fairer than the outboard side (ironic really). I used a fine roller (foam) on the second coat but surprisingly (to me) I used the same amount of highbuild on the second coat as I did using a coarse roller on the first coat. I had just a little left in the tray when I got to the end so I just went over a few of the poorer sections and used the last of it. I should be able to get a good finish with 120 grit paper and will then apply a final coat of highbuild. I think a final coat will equate to half the 20 litres I have so I will get both hulls done with the highbuild I have.

With any luck I may get this coat of highbuild sanded this weekend and the final coat on, and during next week I will get that sanded with 240 grit which should make the hull very smooth and then I will be applying 2 or 3 coats of resin mixed with copper powder to the underwater area to 100mm above the waterline as an antifoul base. Then the hull will be ready to turn over.

You May Also Like

Paul

Leave A Comment